December 06, 2012

Мetinvest, the European Union and the UNDP implemented energy-saving projects in Donetsk oblast

Metinvest Group, in cooperation with the European Union, the United Nations Development Programme and local communities, completed two energy-saving projects in the towns of Vuhlehirsk and Yunokomunarivsk. The projects were the first for the UNDP programme Community Based Approach to Local Development in small towns in Donetsk oblast. Metinvest Group’s Yenakiieve Steel contributed a total of UAH 100,000 to the projects.

The second phase of UNDP’s local development programme was launched in 2011. Both towns, Vuhlehirsk and Yunokomunarivsk (both under the jurisdiction of the Yenakiieve City Council), submitted applications to participate. Those applications were evaluated based on the results of a questionnaire of residents.

It marked the first time small towns were involved in the project, as European grants have typically focused on rural areas, according to Lyudmila Shinkarenko, coordinator of the Community Based Approach to Local Development (Phase 2) project in Donetsk oblast.

“Having analysed the applications and conditions in these towns, the Programme Committee recognized the necessity of these projects in Vuhlehirsk and Yunokomunarivsk,” said Shinkarenko. “However, the key factor in deciding to go ahead with these pilot projects was the support of Metinvest, which had become one of the programme’s partners.”

As a result of the project, Vuhlehirsk School No. 42’s worn out boiler equipment was replaced with new energy-efficient boilers for a total cost of UAH 309,000 and Yunokomunarivsk Kindergarten No. 51 was renovated for a total cost of UAH 220,000.

“Metinvest is always interested in projects to improve the life of people in towns where the company operates,” said Alexander Podkorytov, General Director of PJSC Yenakiieve Steel. “It was particularly important that four parties were involved in these projects – the local government, business, the community and international organisations.”

Editorial notice:

UNDP’s Community Based Approach to Local Development programme has been active in Ukraine since 2008, with the support of the European Union. Participants in the project receive financing for socially important projects with 5% of total financing provided by the community, 45% by the town or settlement council, and 50% by project partners, including social and business participants.

PJSC Yenakiieve Steel, which includes Yenakiieve Iron and Steel Works and its Makiivka branch, is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of square billet. The enterprise produces cast billet, rods, bars and rolled products (beams, channel bars, angles, etc.). Yenakiieve Steel is the only manufacturer of guide sections for lifts in Ukraine. Yenakiieve Steel has two of the most state-of-the-art blast furnaces in Ukraine (BF-3 and BF-5) and the first ever continuous casting machines (CCM) designed and manufactured in Ukraine. Ukraine’s Regional Development Ministry named Yenakiieve Steel’s BF-3 the best industrial facility of Ukraine in 2012. Yenakiieve Steel has been implementing three social programmes: “We Improve Our Town with Our Own Hands” in Yenakiieve and Makiivka; the “Town-Works” social-economic partnership with both towns where it operates; and the “Troops for Good Deeds” volunteer campaign. Yenakiieve Steel is part of the Metallurgical Division of Metinvest Group.

Metinvest is a vertically integrated group of steel and mining companies involved in every link of the steel production value chain from mining and processing iron ore, coke and coal; to making and selling semi-finished and finished steel products, including rolled pipe, coils and other high value-added products. The Group has assets in Ukraine, Europe and the USA and a sales network that covers all key global markets.

The major shareholders of METINVEST B.V. (a holding company of Metinvest Group) are SCM Group (71.25%) and Smart-Holding (23.75%), partnering in the Company’s management.

METINVEST HOLDING, LLС is the managing company of Metinvest Group.

For additional information please visit

Contact person:
Evgeniy Dubogryz
Corporate Communications Manager
+380 62 214 72 85

share кнопка открытия/закрытия "поделиться"
download pdf